Tuesday 23 September 2008

MY INTERNET FINALLY WORKS!!

I moved into my home for the next three months on Saturday, and the internet's been fussy ever since! It's actually quite pathetic the estrangement I feel without seeing facebook for a couple of days. In my last blog I said a longer blog's to come...I have eleven pages of journaling (thanks heath!) and I don't think that much info is necessary. So I'll try to only cover the things that matter, which will be difficult because I find every single second pretty exciting. Saturday midday we first arrived at Goldsmiths University of London. I rushed into my room, pulled open the curtains, threw the window open, and took a big deep breath of fresh English air. Ahhh. Literally, I started bubbling over with laughter- giggles of ecstasy. It truly is surreal. Though I have known that I was going to do this for practicly a year now, it amazes me that I am actually in England. I think for the first two days there was a loop in my head of, "I'm in freaking London, who does that?!?"


I DO!! (this is me on my first day at Goldsmiths, in front of my dorm room window)




I'm in freaking London and I absolutely adore it!! I was preparing myself for this immense feeling of uncomfortability- you know the good kind of uncomfortability, the kind that stretches you and makes you grow. That hasn't come. I feel completely at home (don't worry family, I'm still coming home! lol). I'm sure once classes get started (Monday, 29th) and the rest of the Brits move in (as in British people, not other girls named Brittany) it could get a bit overwhelming, but I am so excited for that! Another reason why I am perfectly at home, everyone on my flat's American. All of them are east coast girls, which at least is a little different (two from Boston, then Long Island, Vermont, and Philly). We all got talking in the hall this morning about the differences between us, because apparently none of them have accents.......but I do. They said they could all tell I was from California. Because of my "accent," and one of them said I look toasted brown. Ha! Compared to most Californians I'm a white-y!!
The rest of this week is free for me to get settled in (I just got back from my first time buying groceries!) Then my first class is Tuesday afternoon. Plenty of time to explore!!



These are pictures from Greenwich...the first local place we explored. It's just a 10 minute bus ride away, and is right on the river! Greenwich has really cool weekend street markets and a couple museums that I'll definitely go to sometime! (One of them being The Queen's House!!!)

3 comments:

Coach Lok said...

When Jim Valvano gave his famous "Never Give Up" speech he said,

"When people say to me how do you get through life or each day, it's the same thing. To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives.

Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day.
Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought.
Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Your post made me do all three. I've already had a heck of a day! Thanks!

Love you

kwoloschuk said...

brit. im glad you're doing amazing and i love the enthusiasm in your blog! love it! and i have to say in your pics you did great with accesorizing. i approve. thats funny how you have an "accent" so that means i have one too. haha. love you talk to you soon.
kitty kat

Coach Lok said...

Sister!! 11 pages wow!! Maybe I should have gotten you two!! lol. I adore your blogs.. your writing is so fun I enjoy it. I love what Dad said. Short and sweet, just like you =) I agree. The accent thing is funny... remember when you had a New York accent. Maybe they would think you talk normal if you didn't say 'like' so much =) Love you..and expect a long email from me...um in the next couple of days. Praying for you..oh and I'll explain the mastermind thing, we want you to be in it! Keep lovin it, taking it in, and treasuring it!! <3