Tuesday 30 September 2008

What an amazing weekend!!

As if Friday was not amazing enough, the London high continues!!
Saturday I got to go on a nice long run. It made me feel so incredibly comfortable in this new environment. Running is something that I did not always like, but I have grown to love. Because it is something that I feel comfortable and confident is it was such an adrenaline rush to be able to hit the road, running into the unknown...kinda what I've done here. Leaving LA, going to England, studying theatre- running into the unknown. My runs are my way to acquaint myself with my surroundings, and oh it's nice to meet you!

The next day was beautiful outside (and that's coming from a girl from sunny southern California- so it's saying a lot!) I had to go outside. I ventured back to Greenwich Park. After looking online and realizing it was only two miles away, I decided it was a marvelous opportunity to go for a walk, getting time to talk to God, spending time in my head. I explored the surroundings a bit, which were beautiful buildings right by the River Thames, I grabbed a cup of coffee, a spot on the grass and engulfed myself in a new book, recommended to me: Walking With God, by John Eldredge. Beautiful day, beautiful scenery, beautiful book. The day concluded with Sunday Supper with my flatmates.... a good meal, sitting around the table, conversing with new friends. An utterly satisfying day it was indeed!

((River Thames))

((the grassy area that I sat and read on...kinda))

Now these two days have been enjoyable and serene. Monday (my last day before classes start) was exciting and so much fun! Alex and I have become addicts of The Globe Theatre, the feeling that place gives us can only be described as pure ecstasy. Timon of Athens was too show at 7:30, but why waste a trip into Central London? Midday we heading out. First we browsed through The Southwark Cathedral, which is where the Shakespeare family attended. The modern statues, paintings, and tributes of various kinds sort of took away from the historic majestic vibe most of these Cathedrals give off, but it was still pretty cool.

Then we grabbed a couple venti mochas and a spot overlooking the river and chit chatted. We were literally sitting right outside Shakespeare's Globe, looking at the tower and millennium bridge- entirely surreal. Time flew by! (Girl can talk like me, so you can only imagine!) We were about to go peruse through the Tate Modern until the show started, but while we were in the restrooms and asked a couple British Girls where the nearest Primark was (a clothing chain) they gave us their day travel cards that they were finished using. Now we have two travel cards and three hours to get back. We head over to Oxford Street to do some shopping. Primark was crazy chaos, but totally worth it. fun fun!

As six thirty approaches we head back- Timon of Athens here we come! This show definitely gave us the opportunity to see the other side of Shakespeare performed. As opposed to Midsummers, this was tragic and depressing. But was kind of a satirical perspective on human selfishness...poor Timon! It was simply amazing to see The Globe at night...all lit up and majestic. The entire day was absolutely lovely!!


((Me and Alex during our chat session))

No comments: