Friday 3 October 2008

One week down.

One complete week of classes has come to a close, and I am extraordinarily excited for the ones to come! Since Theatre History turned out to be the history of Spanish Theatre, it won't transfer into ULV requirements...and it seemed to be much too difficult and uninteresting to simply be an elective. So instead I am taking Script and Screen, Thursday nights, by the recommendation of Alex, my flatmate who is in the class as well. Oh my goodness do I love that class! I went with her on the first day, just to see what it was. I introduced myself to the tutor and told him I was looking for a class to add and this was a possibility, asking his permission to sit in ya know. Of course, he said it was fine ((and this was a great way to let him know that I am not a writer=less expectations)) That benefit got shot to the dark when we did our first exercise. Each person wrote a dream ((or nightmare)) sequence about their partner ((after a short discussion about wants, desires, and fears)) Then we all shared our narratives with a small group, and each group was to choose their favorite to be read to the class. Guess who got picked? Mwah. By the end of the course we are to all have a ten to fifteen minute short scene completed. Though I know it will be challenging, I love creative writing!

This morning I had Shakespeare's London ((another all-American class...boo)) but the tutor is brilliant. Definitely proof of the fine line between genius and insane. I foresee having many stories about him. The class is NOT read play, analysis play, write about play. This is a relief. Though we will be reading plays, we're only reading five. And we will also be SEEING shows, discussing excerpts implications on life and all that philosophical stuff ((which I entirely enjoy!)) One of those shows will entail visiting Stratford to see Romeo and Juliet!! Ah! I'm in love with my schedule for sure! All practical courses, the optimal way to learn in my opinion.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to visit Lloyd in Cheltenham ((look it up, it's suppose to be beautiful)) and I couldn't be more exciting to get to see a different part of England! The first night his parents are coincidentally having friends over, which means I get to kick it at an English get-together...uh, FABULOUS!! I can't wait! Being in a real home environment ((I'm taking all my laundry for sure!)) having home-cooked meals, exploring quaint little towns annnd....I get to see a castle! Like, a real English castle!! Wooo Hoo!

1 comment:

Coach Lok said...

Script and Screen sounds so much better than Spanish Theater. Great switch! It does not surprise me that your narrative was chosen. Do you now feel a little less "under-educated, under-qualified, and un-talented"? I hope so. But you, Sweetie, need no further proof of " the fine line between genius and insane."
!:?)

Cheltenham looks fabulous! It seems to be all that England really is. Definitely get pictures of the Regency architecture (not just the castle) and the beautiful countryside (lake and river included!). If you can make it Gloucester and see the cathedral -just watch out for Lord Voldemort!

Can't wait to see them. Enjoy!